AFP FP&A Series
Keeping Corporate Finance and FP&A professionals informed, relevant, and ahead of the curve. Held three times a year, each half-day virtual event dives deep on one topic and offers practical tips for today and long-term career development for the future.
APF's FP&A Series Deep Dive on Data
Get Your Data Right
Exclusively sponsored by AARP
June 9, 2022 | Virtual
- 11:00–11:45 AM: Implementing Data Driven Decision Making | Read Description
- 12:30–1:15 PM: Delivering Data as a Service | Read Description
- 2:00–2:45 PM: Crafting Value: How Data/Digital is Reshaping FP&A | Read Description
- 3:30–4:15 PM: Taming the Wild West of Your Data for Reporting | Read Description
Followed by a roundtable discussion for attendees and speakers on June 10.
Presented By: Kayla Davis, Vice President, Head of M&A, ABM Industries
An increasing number of organizations are building data analytics capabilities in efforts to gain competitive advantage by leveraging data and AI. When executed successfully, organizations can enjoy great growth as compared to their peers. In this discussion, industry experts provide an overview of key trends and challenges in organization pursuing more advanced insight, the success factors in transforming an organization to be data-driven and shares ABM’s journey in using data to build specific use cases that enabled the organization to better measure performance and enable decision making.
Presented By: Jesse Todd, Group Finance Manager, Finance Data & Experiences Team, Microsoft
Inconsistent definitions, hierarchies, metrics, and KPIs across the finance, marketing, sales, and product development teams led to endless data wrangling and churn; resulting in widespread “shadow finance” and multiple versions of the truth. Sound familiar? Microsoft Finance’s response to this challenge was a company-wide process and change management effort to create trusted data that was widely available, enabling finance to focus on delivering insight instead of managing data. Learn how they did it, and how you can assess how to improve your own business data strategy.
- Understand common challenges facing finance teams to reduce manual work and build trust with business partners stemming from ineffective and non-centralized data management approaches.
- Learn how Microsoft implemented an aligned data management framework to create a common data language across multiple functions to increase efficiency and deliver greater insight.
2:00–2:45 PM: Crafting Value: How Data/Digital is Reshaping FP&A
Presented By: Andrew Codd, Founder & Producer of #SITN Finance Podcast & Finnetics®, Consultant, Dell Technologies
Dell Technologies had a problem. After years of digital transformation, the support services finance team assessed themselves with a net promoter score negative 100. The problem was a lack of holistic approach to staff, customers and data. For them, the answer was to create digital competencies around data management concentrated in regional hubs, and then refocus the people on business problems. This reduced the number of people at the bottom of hierarchical pyramid traditionally aggregating and arranging data; they were redeployed in the “middle,” closer to the business doing more interactive work. The new diamond shape of the team, narrow at the bottom and top, wide in the middle, puts finance close to their customer where they can add value.
- Understand how the company organizational chart needs to change when finance embraces improved technology and tactics.
- Understand the Importance of knowing the difference between Data Digitization vs. Digitalization.
- Learn the three levels of value internal stakeholders demand, and how FP&A can meet them.
3:30–4:15 PM: Taming the Wild West of Your Data for Reporting
Presented By: Greg Gillespie, Principal, Collectiv
Business intelligence tools (BI) have unlimited potential to produce data that benefits organizations of all sizes, yet the sole deployment of a BI solution will not deliver the desired results without developing ‘Excellence’. Excellence is the force that governs and oversees the adoption, implementation and maintenance of BI platforms to connect across functions and improve data integrity. In this session, FP&A practitioners discuss the challenges and best practices for seamlessly creating BI Excellence.
- Understand key steps to manage and standardize chaotic reporting processes to improve data quality across the enterprise by building a BI Center of Excellence.
- Learn a CoE framework that was built upon industry best practices, including governance, engagement, learning, and organizational support.